The 3'o clock reading syndrome

So, the idea of this blog began as the title suggests somewhere at 3 am in the night (if I were in a horror movie I would surely be deemed the devil incarnate by now). Reading till wee hours has always been a curse, leading to puffy eyed morning lectures and not so happy work face. So, this new year I decided while I cannot make the time honoured resolution drama of sleeping on time so that I am daisy fresh for the classes next day (my students will vouch for my absolute reluctance to open up the intellectual chambers before 10 am), I will none the less put all this reading into some good work (more for me rather than for you).

That brings me to the point of this blog. Being a literature student and teacher I guess I can easily start saying all things that this blog won't be about. But then that won't make things either interesting or bearable (It was all fine for Derrida and Sassure but please no longer). Other than this first initial ranting, I will try and keep the melodrama to the mildest. But to put it as succinctly as possible, this new year I have vouched to read more (I can already see my mother rolling her eyes "As if you don't read enough!") and talk a bit more about the ones I read. So this blog will be my journey plan of this year, one new book at a time (usually 3 in the morning). These will be my style reviews of why we should read these books and well a little bit of life's ranting.

Every two weeks I will post a review of a new book that we would otherwise in our literary snobbishness not have picked up.

I will start with Xiaolu Guo (it took me four times to finally get that name correct) and her book A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers. 

Which I will start writing about tomorrow. (Well no one said I won't be procrastinating!)

Well till tomorrow.

the bookbug

Comments